Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Seasons of Change

I have finally admitted to myself that summer is over.
School is in full swing, nights are getting colder and life is starting to move on. Now that summer is over though, I can fully enjoy fall. The leaves are just beginning to change and the mountain is dotted with a hint of red and orange with a promise of more to come. Fall is the perfect time to bake pies. I don't really know why, maybe because so much fruit is in season, or maybe because I am trying to gain fat to keep myself warm in the coming winter. And because I have a wonderful brother who was willing to go with me to the farmer's market in the morning, I became the owner of a beautiful bag of fresh peaches. These peaches were delicious. They are beautiful first of all, just getting soft and barely fuzzy. And they made the most wonderful peach pie ever. I know you probably aren't supposed to say that about food you cook yourself, but it was pretty tasty. Here is the recipe.

Fresh Peach Pie (adapted from Leite's Culinaria)

1 recipe of Extra Flaky Pie Crust (add 2 teaspoons sugar to recipe for sweeter crust)
5 cups peeled and sliced peaches (maybe 8 peaches)
a few generous squeezes of fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp cold butter




1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Squeeze lemon juice over peaches and toss gently. In a separate bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine with peaches until coated.
2. Pour peach mixture into prepared pie dish. Grate cold butter with cheese grater and spread butter flakes evenly across the top of the pie. Cover pie with top pie crust and crimp edges. Cut steam vents in top.
3. Cook for 35-40 min until crust is browned. Spread a bit of butter across top of hot crust and let pie cool at least one hour. Serve warm, at room temperature, cold or however you so desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment